Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

John Wheeler

Saintfield

11th Jul 2008

Congratulations to Ballymena who comprehensively beat us today. But surely something must be done about making a team like ourselves play on a Friday. We had 6 regular first team players unavailable due to work commitments. I know Ballymena don't play Sundays but the NCU need to address this problem as its making a mockery of the league. I'm sure the likes of Woodvale and Lurgan, who are pushing for promotion, would be unhappy to know we had a mixture of 1st, 2nds and 3rds playing today. If the NCU can't make a team play on a Sunday surely its wrong to make a team play during the week. The NCU need to look at this 21 day rule as in my opinion its an absolute joke.

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

11th Jul 2008

Michael Patterson

I don't know you and had never heard of you in my time in the NCU. You are right in saying these are only my opinions and if you don't like them then don't read the articles.

However I do believe that the NCU is in a bit of a trough right now and I would like to see it back at the top.
Wayne, Ivan, Robin, Andy, Growler, myself have all been around a while and it is plain there is work to do to improve standards. We might disagree with the methods but we all want the same thing.

I think any suggestions to improve the standards in any of the NCU leagues is welcome from any source. We need a change of approach.
The floor is open!

taito

work

11th Jul 2008

i was just like to pass on my condolences to the white family at this hard time

Clarence Hiles

Comber

11th Jul 2008

Sincere condolences to the White family from everyone associated with the Ulster Cricketer during this trying time.

Clarence Hiles
Editor
Peter Shields
Webmaster

michael patterson

Lisburn

11th Jul 2008

Staffy, have read your last article twice and I'm totally confused by the contradicitons and assumptions that simply don't stand up. The final statement is almost delivered in a tablet of stone yet it is absolutely aburd. You are entitled to your opinions and that's exactly what this article was.

michael patterson

Lisburn

11th Jul 2008

John, it's a good idea. Think of ways of trying to make it work rather than throw in obstacles. I used to live in the Ards area and I doubt if you know much about Ards CC from a Derry base but the history between the two clubs over many years has shown the ambitious players moved to the bigger club because it had the best facilities and opportunities. This has worked well and looking down the line maybe it could even help clubs like Ards prosper.
Lisburn and Derriaghy might be a bigger challenge!

Wayne Horwood

Belfast

11th Jul 2008

First of all my thoughts are with the White family at this time.

Secondly re John Ross. I think Robin and Andrews suggestions are excellent. It is about youth development and the promotion of cricket of which all clubs will benefit. If what is perceived to be a lesser club than North Down gets an improved youth playing base and coaching set up by applying a collective approach to development officers then surely that is a result.

Just a thought why don't Robin and Ivan chair a meeting at Comber with 1 or 2 playing representatives from all clubs to have a bit of a brainstorming and make some players suggestions on how to improve the game?

Staffy - can you bring along a few sandwiches please to keep folk happy!!

Wayne

John Ross

Derry

11th Jul 2008

Ivan - Don't get me wrong, it is a good idea, no doubt about that. A sliding scale could be the answer - but, as usual with some innovative ideas, I just cant see how it would work in practice. Perhaps NICA seeking specific grant aid from the Sports Council / Lottery would be better than clubs footing the bill? That way it is independant.

Andrew - You can never stop any player moving on. My point is that a club like North Down would be more attractive to play at (ie if you lived in Ards you would simply travel to Comber) and why would a smaller club want to help a bigger club take the better players?

Andrew Haire

Comber

11th Jul 2008

Dont understand the theory behind how an initiative such as RDOs would only improve the bigger clubs!

Advantages to all clubs would be an increased player base at their clubs and improved school/club links.

Whilst you can never stop young players moving clubs, I would have thought that improvements in youth structures within these smaller clubs would mean that young players would be less likely to have to move to another club.

robin haire

at home

11th Jul 2008

On behalf of all at North Down, I'd like to pass on my condolences to Rowland White, whose wife Elizabeth died yesterday.
Our thoughts are with you Rowland, Richard, Andrew and Alison during this very sad time.

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

11th Jul 2008

John Ross. Fair comment. Maybe some sort of sliding scale dependent on leagues / number of teams etc. But in principle Robin's is a sound idea and surely local councils have grants for such initatives.

John Ross

Derry

11th Jul 2008

Ivan - Fair enough. But the point I was making is why would a small club pay 3k to help a bigger club, paying the same amount, poach the best players from their catchment area? If I was a member of a small club I certainly wouldnt be voting to shell out to help the strong get stronger!

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

10th Jul 2008

Robin Haire. Brilliant idea.
John Ross.The best clubs will get the best players anyway ( and why shouldn't they ).

John Ross

Derry

10th Jul 2008

Robin - good idea in theory but I could see problems whereby the bigger club (like yours) would take the pick of the best from all schools in the region and leave the likes of Ards with the dregs!

Rodney Hassard

work

10th Jul 2008

taito, who are the other matches against?