Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

John Wheeler

Saintfield CC

23rd Sep 2008

Jeff,

If Saintfield, Downpatrick and Dundrum all manage to stay up we should push the league to have all the matches involving ourselves to be played on Saturday & Sunday on 3 consecutive weekends in June/July, a bit like Super Sunday in the Premier League. It would also make it easier for you to collect the money off Taito.

I'm not sure you'll get to see the Mall on Sunday, from what I've heard its so wet they haven't even been able to get the outfield cut, maybe Gareth could let us know the latest on the state of the pitch.

Good luck to all the clubs this weekend, I just hope that the weather holds and any relegation issues can be decided on the pitch as it should be.

Graeme Hunter

Lurgan

23rd Sep 2008

Lurgan Cricket Club
Annual Sportsmans Dinner
Date/Time: Saturday 8th November 2008 at 8pm
Venue: Clubhouse, Pollock Park, Lurgan
Guest Speaker:- Chris Cowdrey (England, Kent, Glamorgan - also Talksport commentator)
Cost: £40 per ticket

To book a ticket, please contact Graeme Hunter on 07763 910565.
Players and members of other clubs would be very welcome.

jeff maguire

late summer

23rd Sep 2008

steven , thanks i agree about derby games & this years between the 3 teams has definatly raised the profile of local cricket with great coverage & pictures& do think we have chance staying up the weather has gave us a second chance, we can yous your ground for both games this weekend but Lurgan will let us no wed night as they fully expect their ground will be playable & my brother who works in armagh said that the outfield was cut yeserday so with a great weather forecast for next 6 days no reason why we cant play both games & go down or up fighting as they say.looking forward too the mall as only played ther once & in senior cup 25 years ago & it was a beautiful ground & we heard some off the best BANTER ever when they beat us. think theirs a possibility that if we put all the derby games down for two nighters or sundays that would FREE UP a lot at least two sats & if the teams want too bring them forward too a sunday then let them as ipersonally dont think theres too much cricket& theres no guarentee that reducing too 8 teams will benefit cricket (it will harm the smaller clubs who want too break into the top leagues).think one rearangement & 20 over midweek game would stop alot of games being played in september . think because of bad weather we all panic .ps taito i can take a post dated CHEQUE or is it as slow as your bouncer ?

Gareth McCarter

The Mall

22nd Sep 2008

A wicketkeeper mightn't always know if he makes contact with the stumps before the ball arrives because it can be such a close thing sometimes, but we are an honest breed.

Also, if someone doesn't believe in what they are posting enough to put their name to it then I reckon it can probably be disregarded. I'm sure there are plenty of interested observers out there!

stephen ferguson

work

22nd Sep 2008

I agree Jeff

Derby games are what make cricket worth playing and i'm sure i speak for all downpatrick players and officials when i say that we hope dundrum stay up, so that we can play the local derbys next year again.

Its all well and good beating the big teams in NCU and Irish cricket, but there's no better feeling than winning a local derby.

jeff maguire

stop slagging !!!

22nd Sep 2008

taito& steven, lets be honest this & other forums have people on them that have nothing better too do than start SLAGGING clubs off & wont identify themselves. Downpatrick beat Dundrum fair & square as in my mind when we dropped 11 catches we let them score possibly 80runs too many & James Cunningham played VERY good innings& added too that they have a good competitive team & two very under rated players in Andrew Bassett & James Magowan . On the day Downpatrick completely outplayed us a bit like our win in Dundrum.We have really enjoyed the derby games & hopefully we will get too play them next year as think both teams have a healthy respect for one & other even if we dont admit it. I personally thought that Gavin ringland was IN & thought that steven did break the stumps without knowing it but you have too ACCEPT his word on it& move on as lets not start undermining the UMPIRES as they dont get it right all the time but do a fantastic service too the SPORT OF CRICKET & LONG MAY THAT CONTINUE. Dundrum went for a beer after the game with the downpatrick lads & their was no complaints as think even they no that dropping 11catches was probably the main reason that they lost & not any of the decisions.The derby games with Saintfield ,Downpatrick & Dundrum have been great battles &think everyone involved want too see more ?

stephen ferguson

work

22nd Sep 2008

Re interested observer

First of all why are you hiding behind the name “interested observer” what is your actual name?
I can say whole heartedly that neither my hand nor any other part of my body broke the stumps yesterday, in an attempt to collect the ball, which bounced in front of me , it deflected of my right hand and into the stumps.
I was questioned by some supporters (home and visitors) after the game as to what had happened and once I had told them, they were satisfied. I would regard JT as a friend and although we were on opposing sides and it was a vital game in the race for survival in Senior 2, if I had broken the stumps with my hand etc, I would be the first to call John back

taito

work

22nd Sep 2008

i agree, i am not on for a slanging match either, everyone is entitled to their opinion, i was merely stating our view of the incident.case closed then

interested observer

Ballynahinch

22nd Sep 2008

RE: Paul Tate

Paul, I can only comment on what I saw and what many other supporters saw (some home supporters too) and always give my honest opinion.

The fact that a team mate of yours, and one of the most respected and longest serving playing members in your team walked off the pitch tells its own tale. If Stephen Ferguson says that the ball deflected off his gloves and onto the stumps then that is up to him and you got to take his word for it but from where I and many others were standing it was obvious that the ball deflected away from the stumps and then his gloves came round and broke them in a different movement. It wasn't even a close call.

In terms of making a joke about Downpatricks demise, you are sadly mistaken as I am again giving my honest opinion on the club over the past 25 years and how it has changed. By no means do I wish a club of that stature to be struggling, in fact I would like to see them back at the top of the NCU again however sometimes the truth needs to be told in order for playing standards etc to improve.

I did not come on here to post negativity about clubs or personnell within clubs but I thought that the two incidents yesterday were worthy of a discussion.

With regards the run out, I didn't see it but a lot of people have said it was a close call. In my opinion if it is a close call then the umpire should give the batsman the benefit of the doubt. The scenario about breaking the stumps though is a different scenario as the captain of the team has the power to call the batsman back even though the umpire gave him out...at least thats what I'm led to believe.

If you reply back I will not be replying as I'm not on this forum to have a slanging match. As far as I'm concerned this is my final post on this matter.

taito

belfast

22nd Sep 2008

Interested observer: its amazing how you and so many others seemed to have a clear view of the incident 50 yards away, stephen ferguson is an honest cricketer and swears that the ball bounced of his glove on to the stumps and no stage did he break the stumps with his gloves.

Also why do we have umpires? to make the decisions i think . Does every batsman walk when they know they have edged it? no i dont think so.

And you saw yesterday a shocker for a run out on our side who was past the stumps. You have to get on with these things its part and parcel of cricket.

To be making statements about its a sign of downpatricks demise is an absolute joke. We are an honest bunch of cricketers as you said and especially since it was JT who remains a good friend of all of us if the stupms had been broken i have no doubt we would have called him back.

taito

belfast

22nd Sep 2008

jeff i am saying nothing about paul, but from the run out perspective, fergy says 100% he did not break the stumps with his gloves. the ball rebounded off his gloves and hit the stumps.

yeah you arent down and out yet, a convincing win against lurgan might see you ok.

i have never in my life seen four catches dropped in four balls, it was crazy.

interested observer

Ballynahinch

22nd Sep 2008

Hi

Just like to say what a wonderful derby it was on Sunday at Downpatrick v Dundrum. As usual there was the normal controversy but two things I seen, I have never seen before. In amoungst Dundrum dropping 11 catches, they managed to drop 4 in 4 balls. Has anyone ever seen this done before? They were not difficult chances either. Secondly, Downpatrick's Paul Lenihan walked off the pitch in disgust at one of the decisions that went FOR his team. A dundrum player was adjudged to have been run out by the umpire who was on the blind side of the batsman and wicket keeper. The keeper spilled the ball that rolled away from the wicket but his motion took him through and he broke the stumps with his gloves. This was obvious to the whole side of the ground who couldnt believe it when the batsman was given out. Linehan had a good view of the incident and, to his CREDIT, he shouted over to his captain and team mates that in fact the ball didn't hit the stumps. To his teammates and in particular his captains DISCREDIT they told him where to go and proceeded to send the batsman on his way. Again has anyone seen this done before? I think although Linehan should have discussed this with his teammates in the changing room after the game it is sad sign of how far Downpatrick have slipped in recent years. Many people were surprised that a team with so many geniuine people in past years opted to send the batsman on his way when it was obvious it wasnt out.

Even had the batsman been given out Downpatrick would still have won the match as they were the better team on the day as Dundrum's fielding and general attitude was quite poor considering they were fighting relegation.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable game and one of the best derbies I've seen in over 25 years of watching local cricket.

jeff maguire

down but not out yet.

22nd Sep 2008

Taito, its only 40£ & you dont really want dont too be known as someone who CHEATS on a BET? think if we hadnt dropped so many (11) four in four balls most ever seen!think you have very good bowling attack.whether its strangford road or the meadow it is a fantastic ground too play on with undoubted atmosphere. has too be said it was strange too see paul linehan walk off but you have too somewhat ADMIRE his stance but think he might reget letting his club down .really hope we can get out off jail & its a very competive & enjoyable section with great grounds & craic.we hope too play lurgan at yours on sat so might get chance too lift our little wager?

taito

work

22nd Sep 2008

jeff, you wouldnt really take that money off me now would you. I am not sure about the long run up either jeff, seems a long way to run to float it out at 60 miles an hour lol.
yeah it was good craic, if you had taken the catches early on it might have been a different story.

James

Belfast

22nd Sep 2008

Well forumites, no doubt now that Civil Service are the top team in the NCU in 2008, North Down looked out of sorts yesterday and were well beaten.
What is in doubt however, is the pitch at Stormont, which nearly made a farce out of the biggest game of the season. I'm led to believe it was one of the international pitches that was used but to be honest it played more like a council ground, until the sun helped it a bit later in the day!
Or was it tactics to prepare it for seamers Thompson, Jones, Coulter and Costain, and bank on winning the toss?