Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

jeff maguire

a bets a bet!!!!!!!!!!

20th Sep 2008

some tips for today never trust the weather, eway ALFATHAA 455 newbury, CULLYBACKEY 410catterick, confucias 330ayr,mutajared,440ayr,nansbest545.WIN DANEHILL DESTINY.220.ps taito you can cancel sun BET as it aint started? .pps it suit me as we missing 5 from the last win???????????????

robin haire

la mon

19th Sep 2008

saturdays game between ciyms and north down has been switched to comber start 11-30

jeff maguire

think time too quit &play golf!

19th Sep 2008

Dundrums game versus Holywood at Drumaness was called off the day by the Down district council. And before the forum SLAGGERS(you no who u are) start blaming ME or Dundrum i tried newforge saintfield north down & ciyms and have EAR INFECTION from mobile trying & yes the team have too live with not giving up home advantage when their was always the risk that it could be a no result but at least they made it not me.

taito

trying to back out of a crazy bet !!!

19th Sep 2008

o right me not being a betting man has just figured that one out, i see what you mean jeff.

well since we never shook on it and all that ......

lol

taito

work

19th Sep 2008

jeff that wasnt my take on the bet, i thought it was two separate bets £20 at 3-1, so if we won on saturday we would be all square.

but yeah a beer after the game for sure win lose or draw. i would say good luck tomorrow but im not sure i woulod mean it. its getting a bit close for that lol

jeff maguire

looking for a ground?

19th Sep 2008

taito, even i no in betting you gave me 3 1 at home & away so win lose or draw sunday im up £ . but hope too see you sunday for a pint no matter who wins as theirs no point playing cricket if you cant sit down & have bit craic afterwards?

taito

work

19th Sep 2008

sure jeff no point in me giving you money for you to hopefully give me it back straight after the game lol.

hopefully we will be all square, big game, if we win we are safe i would say if we dont then anything could happen.

jeff maguire

summer starting

19th Sep 2008

Dundrum game on saturday is at Drumaness starting 1130 againest Holywood, at least if you can believe the forecast the next 5 days is too be DRY.ps tayto hope too see you sunday too pick up my cash?

Interested Observer

The Bermuda Triangle

18th Sep 2008

As we enter another important weekend for those clubs at either end of their respective leagues, I wonder how many games will be called off because clubs "cannot get their ground prepared." Will it be those teams at the top of the leagues, not willing to play incase they lose or those teams threatened with relegation not willing to play incase they lose to those teams who can overtake them and force them into the relegation dog-fight? Maybe the AGM this year will be a lively affair! Once again, this post may spark a lively debate and please guys, be respectful to each other when posting....

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

18th Sep 2008

Stuart,
What you suggest has a lot of merit. It freshens the whole thing up for players and spectators.

We need to sort out the rearrangement situation and that means Ballymena and Lurgan addressing Sunday cricket as well. My gut feeling is to go with D/L to get a result first time around. Failing that a 20 over rearrangement within 8 days if possible. Failing that share the points.

The ISC suggestion is quite radical with a Champions League style set up. I wonder would it eventually lead to an All Ireland league. The difficulty is the distance from Londonderry to Dublin. From Belfast in either direction isn't too bad. But I agree with you that things need reviewed.

stuart hegarty

derriaghy

18th Sep 2008

i definately think a restructuring needs to take place, not just in NCU but all the unions. i would like to see CI have an input into local cricket and standardise all the unions.

the top flights of NCU, NWCU and LCU should be 8 team leagues. get rid of ulster cup and also reformat the ISC with 24 teams of the 3 unions split into 4 leagues of 6 teams, with 2 from each union in each league. you will be guarenteed at least 4 games against teams from other unions but only 2 away days. the top 4 teams play semis and then the new ISC final.

the first round of local league matches are played, then the new irish league/cup format can be played in june, then the second round of league matches, 19 games for ALL teams (excluding semis and final) with still enough time left in the season for each unions own cup and 20/20 comp to be slotted in somewhere.

amount of scheduled games would be

league - 14
ISC - 5 (+ 1)
local cup - 1 (+ 2)

min 20 max 23

at the minute we play min 21 and max 30

same rules should be used in all comps with 8 day rescheduling rule

sorry this is a bit long winded but what do u think???

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

18th Sep 2008

Ivan
I think the main problem with play offs is exactly when do you complete the league programme? At this point nobody is sure.

However if you introduce an 8 day rearrangement rule similar to North West then the fixtures shouldn't spill over too far.

What you could do is even one down/one up and have 2nd last join 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in the lower league for play offs. Everyone would have something to play right to the very end of the season.

The player draft would actually be very exciting but one step at a time, we don't want anyone choking on their G&T!

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

18th Sep 2008

Paul
Interesting idea the "drafting ". I heard them discuss this on radio the other day re Premiership Football and like you thought we could maybe introduce it here. It would allow Cricket Ireland to offer an elite squad of contracted players and then "loan" them out to say the teams in UPL 1 and the Lienster League One. If clubs have the money to pay local players they certainly could contribute towards the centrally contracted players.
Can't really understand what is wrong with the play off system. It would still give teams something to play for right to the end of the season but might just eliminate the yo yoing that I think will go on with straight 2 up 2 down. Do we know for sure that the Leinster clubs are totally happy with the current regulations.

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

17th Sep 2008

Ivan
Despite all that is said and done I know you would support it (an UPL). I have asked a number of teams about in the North West and the players I talked to are keen on it and are up for the challenge.

If an Inter-Pro is re-introduced it would need to be radically different to the version that fell by a wayside a few years back. The fact is the North West players prefer to play for their club and are disinterested in Inter-Pros. I can guarantee you they will become disillusioned pretty quickly with playing against even more overseas players passed off as locals. With the exception of 'Ifty' and Eaglestone I don't know too many others that would qualify.
It doesn't matter to me where someone is born but the North West hasn't benefited with cricket playing immigrants to the extent of other regions.
Club cricket is where it is at right now. Players hearts (and wallets) lie there. Stopping player payments now is like pushing water uphill. Much better to start again and regulate it. Clubs will still be free to make their own decisions within a permissable framework. If you want original thought Ivan there is always the possibility of introducing a player draft not unlike the IPL or American Football. Cricket genuinely could be revolutionised here if we want to, but we are good at saying no in Ulster. For some it is never, never, never to an UPL.

Roger Bell

Carrickfergus

17th Sep 2008

They don't appear to have any problem with 2 up 2 down in the Leinster Cricket Union's Senior League set-up where they have two leagues of seven rather than eight teams each, so I don't see the need for end of season play-offs in the new NCU structures if they are passed.