Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

James

Belfast

12th Sep 2008

Thank goodness Stephen in Downpatrick isn't in charge or we could all just retire! We would end up playing a dozen games a year if his proposal was accepted - if thats what you want, play on the 4ths!

Rodney Hassard

Dundrum

12th Sep 2008

RE Lurgan.

I think it is disappointing for Lurgan not being able to get a team out on Friday but probably more disappointing is the fact that matches have to be played on a friday because clubs dont play sundays.

Secondly people are saying that Dundrum are hiding behind the rules. I find this laughable, would North Down or Dundrum or anyone take the chance to play their HOME match away at someone elses ground in a first match scenario anytime during the season? It's rediculous, of course they wouldnt. Dundrum had good reason to believe that thier ground would and still will be playable for the rearrangement. People need to be realistic and accept that Dundrum, in their dangerous position in the league are not going to give away home advantage especially when they believed they could get the game played at home. If people have a problem with this then they should put it forward at the AGM for a rule change but you know that it would be laughed off.

Neal

Belfast

12th Sep 2008

What's this rubbish about deducting points for teams who don't fulfil fixtures in september??

So your saying that Academy who are actively seeking grounds to play their remaining matches should be deducted points due to the weather in june, july, august and up to this point in september!

Also they should be punished for winning the Junior Cup again which may I remind you took 3 WEEKS to even get started never mind finish and during the cup run had to re-arrange cup games to the following week which then means having to find another day for the league games that should have been played that day!!

I know there is some unrest with the Cooke situation but the game between the two at shawsbridge has been started twice and called off once due to the weather!

The NCU need to work out some sort of way for next season to stop this happening otherwise cricket in this country is going to die quicker than they think due to players just becoming disenchanted and walking away from the game! The fact that the game in question is outside the top 2 sections where the NCU have no interest what so ever proves it!

Why can't Duckworth Lewis be brought into all 4 sections either? It's not because everywhere will not have computers because even at test grounds it's the 3rd umpire who makes a phone call to D/L's HQ with the match scores and it's worked out from there! So why not the same in ulster??

Colin Andrews

bored at work

12th Sep 2008

John I think that Pauls view of sharing the points for rearrangements is a sensible idea but needs to be well policed. The home club should not call the game off. All players and officials should still turn up and the Umpires (who should be Neutral) make a decision about wether the game is to be cancelled.

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

12th Sep 2008

In the case of Derriaghy and North Down both teams need the points for different reasons. In the Premier League umpires make the decision on whether the game is playable, so if North Down travelled the umpires could call it. If both captains wished to play then they could get on with it. Perhaps 1 point each is the best way forward for no result. However the situation at the moment is simply too stressful and are causing people to pack it in. My feeling is however that if Derriaghy and North Down have made two attempts to play the game and it hasn't happened then they should split the points. If Derriaghy benefit then that's the luck of the draw, but you can't accuse clubs of manipulating results because it is raining.

billy johnston

Bangor

12th Sep 2008

What's Paul Stafford on about?
The comments were reasonable yet he comes on with personal insults. Start looking at the facts Paul and as for Lurgan doing favours you have got to be joking. They have to re-arrange games under the rules. And as for sharing points you should earn them on the field not the committee room.

Graeme Hunter

Lurgan

12th Sep 2008

As Chairman of Lurgan CC, I am very disappointed that we were not able to field a team against Holywood today. To my knowledge this is the first time the 1st XI have ever had to 'scratch' a match. It is not something that was done lightly and I can fully understand the frustration of the other teams in the lower half of the league. In fact, we are not yet mathematically safe.
However, some of our players have already taken 4-5 Fridays off work (not all these games were completed)and cannot get off any more. We have players on holidays, some work outside of Northern Ireland from Monday to Friday and all our schoolboys are back at school and can't get off.
Myself and our captain Neil Anderson have contacted every possible registered player this week but we still couldn't get anywhere near 11 players.
This season along with last have been exceptional in terms of Friday fixtures (In fact, we could possibly have 2 more Friday fixtures) and it is something we will have to look at.
We did not arrange this fixture for a Friday with no intention of playing it. However, with Holywood already having a fixture tomorrow, we had no other Saturdays to play on. We play Armagh and Dundrum on the 20th and 27th. Therefore, it had to be a Friday and unfortunately at the end of this very trying season we have not been able to field a team.

Michael Patterson

Lisburn

12th Sep 2008

To Paul Stafford.
If you want some negativity and bitterness read back your articles on the NCU. Is this the pot calling the frying pan.......?
For your information it is not a fair re-arrangement if you agree a date on which you can't field a team and then concede the points. That's futile.
Also for your information I am only negative and bitter when I read emails like yours.

Paul Doherty

Ballynahinch

12th Sep 2008

Guys

The bottom line is Lurgan should be embarrased - not the NCU or the rule book. It is an absolute disgrace that a senior club like Lurgan cannot get a team out for a game (Friday or not!!). This was a re-arranged game that could only be played on a Friday as Lurgan dont want to play Sundays. They cant have their cake and eat it when it comes to re-arrangements - by that I mean, they make other clubs play on a Friday by virtue of not playing Sundays.

Staffy - The fact that they have played on a Friday for the umpteenth time is entirely their own fault! At the end of the day, every club should expect to have to fulfil fixtures so they arent re-arranging to help others. Surely they are obliged to?

As for the Dundrum issue, this is totally different as they are under no obligation to reverse a fixture - it may seem logical to some, but they felt it was worth a punt to keep home advantage - it hasn't worked out and that was their risk to take!

Stephen

downpatrick

12th Sep 2008

At the end of the day, games shouldn't be replayed, if there is no result after game one, even with reduced overs, then the points get shared. Then the season can finish at the end of August, before it starts getting dark early and players from other sports, such as football, rugby and hockey are free to begin preseason.

John

Belfast

12th Sep 2008

Paul,
I think you have been rather unfair and harsh to Micheal in this case - he is only presenting a realistic view. Your idea of splitting points in case of a no result just doesn't hold up unfortunately. Let me provide an example to illustrate this -

North Down are due to play Derriachy in a rearranged fixture and Queensway. We will say that Derriachy will beat N Down 1 in 10, so they have an expectated points total of 0.4 (4 divided by 10), now are you saying that if there is a chance to call off the game that Derriachy will not take it - in effect they gain 1.6 points ( In no means is this a snipe at Derriachy but I thought this example highlighted my point best )

In is ludicrous to talk of teams working together and being a big happy family given the number of times that we have seen lawyers involved at the back end of the season. The sad truth is that teams are willing to take any advantage possible even if it does mean bending the rules slightly

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

12th Sep 2008

Michael Patterson.
You are the classic example of someone who contributes nothing but bitterness and negativity.

Lurgan are rearranging matches to help other teams yet they are struggling to get teams out. Yet you are suggesting Lurgan should be fined and deducted points for struggling to get a team out for the umteenth Friday, in mid September when they have nothing to play for?

You really don't have a clue, do you?

John

Belfast

12th Sep 2008

Not speaking for Lurgan at all - in fact I dont think I have ever set foot in Lurgan! But I am just trying to put a different view across which is completly unbiased due to the fact that I have no ties with any of the teams involved .

It is easy to call Lurgan a shambles and for action from the NCU but in reality I can understand Lurgans response. If it was my team I would also be up in arms but to be fair Dundrum have done themselves no favours a couple of weeks ago by not playing Holywood and it looks as if it could cost them dearly

michael patterson

Lisburn

12th Sep 2008

"More charitable to one another"
That's a lovely thought Staffy and it would be good to see everyone take it on board. But unfortunately charity begins at home for EVERY club and it really comes out in September cricket.
As a suggestion in addition to fining clubs that don't fulfil fixtures why not dock them four points as well?

Interested Observer

Belfast

12th Sep 2008

Billy,
Thank you for your reply. I see on the NCU Website that there are proposals being put forward to the AGM. This is a possible contender for discussion at the AGM. It is obvious that teams are hiding behind the rules, and Dundrum, according to earlier posts on this forum have done it as well. But this forum has discussed that Holywood v Dundrum debate and there are valid points why Dundrum didn't take up the offer of Holywood. You are misunderstanding what I mean. The rule needs to be changed for all teams, not just one-offs. Would no results, which in this case is not the same thing, be better off with 2 points each or would that still be benefical to the team who is scrambling for points to get up or stay put? To me, the whole idea of claiming points because another team 'cant be bothered' is totally wrong unless there are no other avenues to go down. If the NCU decides who plays when and where, then it is up to the teams to ensure they meet the obligation to play. A paltry fine is insufficent, maybe a substantial financial punishment would ensure the fixtures are fulfilled. Other thoughts on this??