Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

robin haire ndcc

ardmore academy

11th Sep 2008

re dave work

dave dont think u know too much about local cricket,regan west 12th man,get real.

Paul Doherty

Ballynahinch

11th Sep 2008

Thanks Karl - I would have thought after winning the Junior Cup and with a few signings possible if Cliftonville collapse that Section 2 would be appealing.

Mark

Belfast

10th Sep 2008

Sorry Peter. Got too excited and put my finger on the wrong key. Try CSN/CSNI/CSNZ.
Still can't work out what you guys are on about home grown players. Who cares these days? We spend too much time working out our pedigree rather than putting the best team we can get on the field. North County are so far in front of all our clubs we might need to pick a representative team to beat them!

Mark

Belfast

10th Sep 2008

OK Peter I now see there was no point. My point is an "open doors" policy in case that wasn't obvious.
SCNI and North County are the best examples around.

Response

SCNI?

Dave

work

10th Sep 2008

r.e David Somerville

couple of question marks in there for me, Surely Joe Montgomery should be opening the batting ahead of Nelson? How do you explain having Paul McCrum in your 12 for this season??

1. Ryan Haire
2. Jo Montgomery
3. Nigel Jones
4. Mark Hutchinson
5. James Shannon
6. Derek Heasley
7. Peter Shields
8. Ryan Eagleson
9. Greg Thompson
10. David Simpson
11. Allen Coulter

12th man - Regan West

I think that surely this would be the team of the season, all have been top performers this season and surely cannot be denied a position.

Karl

Home

10th Sep 2008

Its usually thought that when academy are in a strong position in the league they will not go for it as they are comfortable enough playing section 3 cricket.

Paul Doherty

Ballynahinch

10th Sep 2008

Can anyone on the forum shed any light on the Cooke Collegians V Academy match down for 30 August. Acadamy conceded to Cooke Collegians - is this right? Acadamy are going for the league and give a game to Cooke Collegians who are close on their tail!! Seems a bit bizarre to say the least - must be some story behind that one.

Paul Doherty

Ballynahinch

10th Sep 2008

Shieldsy - I would have liked you to try the post on CricetEurope for Derriafrica a few years back :-)

David Somerville - I take it you are only including Permier League players? If not, I would imagine that at least 1 of the Kennedy Brothers at Ballymena would be knocking on the door - David ahead of James in my opinion tho. These two aside, I cant see too many others in Section 2 making the side.

David Somerville

Holywood

10th Sep 2008

NCU Team of Year for your thoughts (Excluding pros, and regular Irish Players)

1. R.Haire
2. L.Nelson
3. N.Jones
4. D.Heasley
5. M.Hutchinson
6. J.Shannon
7. G.Thompson
8. B.Cooper (Wkt)
9. A.Coulter
10. R.Eagleson
11. M.Moreland

12th Man - P.McCrum

Peter Shields

HQ

10th Sep 2008

Thanks for that 'Mark'
The only point was to help answer a question that was posed by an earlier contributor, asking whether or not there was a club team in Ireland with 7 or 8 home grown players.
I wasn’t making any other point, although you seem to be keen to get yours across!
Shieldsy

mark

Belfast

10th Sep 2008

Peter what is the point of your local teams analysis on the other channel? The teams that promote local players don't seem to win much as the teams that recruit either locally or overseas do best. North County, Limavady, Brigade, CSNI and North Down being good examples. Recruiting from local clubs is not much different than recruiting overseas players. The world has changed yet the NCU is still trapped in the anti overseas debate that was started in 1979. Let clubs do what they think is best for their own club and get on with it.

robin haire

cuckoos nest

10th Sep 2008

congratulations to A. Clements on his questionaire on the future of local cricket currently being digested by all clubs. hopefully if all clubs return these soon we could have some sensible changes in place for this years agm.

Peter Smith

work

10th Sep 2008

Re : Mark Jones

What if CIYMS get relegated? Any other "gossip" or insight to who Waringstown might be interested in? A quality express fast bowler for starters would be nice...

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

10th Sep 2008

Clarence.
I think your article brings home the changes in our society that have lead to the changes in our sport.I still struggle to get on the pitch purely to try and bring on our youngsters.After games everyone wants to rush home unlike the days you recall.Such was the crack between clubs and players that I can remember going with Johnny Millar on more than one occassion on a Friday night to the North Down sixes.I remember after a Ballymena Sixes my mother waking me to tell me there was a strange man sleeping on our sofa ( she was right ,it was your brother John ).I will never forget Mark Napier taking the side out of my Cortina in the laneway of his parents house ( my weekend home for two summers ) as we returned about 7am on a Sunday morning after a North Down v Saintfield game via Wes Campbell's house.Or leaving Laurelvale on numerous Sunday mornings.I will never forget Tom Irwin calling me an overweight illegitamate child after I hit a rare six and the next words he spoke to me where " what are you having? ".Priceless.Matches at Newforge against John Craig,Bob Cooke etc or Donaghadee and Frankie Porter ( more than once I lodged there ), Ronnie Elliot,Sailor ,Kenny Nelson and crew.Genuine friendships that last a lifetime where made as I witnessed last winter when my good friend Frazer Evans hosted a Saintfield reunion at a Ballynahinch rugby game .A memorable occassion as Snapper bought drink.That's not to mention the friends in drink we all made at our own clubs like the two Andy's Clement and Gleghorne or Fred "the legend " Ashton and those wonderful sparring partners of yours Galway and O'Prey.
As I comtemplate putting the whites away for good I am glad I have so many vivid memories that far outweigh the odd fifty or five wicket haul.There is so much more to this great game than playing with a straight bat or bowling a nagging length

Billy Johnston

Bangor

10th Sep 2008

How exciting Mark.
That's the sort of story that is more boring than the weather right now and is nobody's business but the people involved.
Let's talk cricket.