Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Interested Observer

Belfast

12th Sep 2008

Billy,
Thank you for your reply. I see on the NCU Website that there are proposals being put forward to the AGM. This is a possible contender for discussion at the AGM. It is obvious that teams are hiding behind the rules, and Dundrum, according to earlier posts on this forum have done it as well. But this forum has discussed that Holywood v Dundrum debate and there are valid points why Dundrum didn't take up the offer of Holywood. You are misunderstanding what I mean. The rule needs to be changed for all teams, not just one-offs. Would no results, which in this case is not the same thing, be better off with 2 points each or would that still be benefical to the team who is scrambling for points to get up or stay put? To me, the whole idea of claiming points because another team 'cant be bothered' is totally wrong unless there are no other avenues to go down. If the NCU decides who plays when and where, then it is up to the teams to ensure they meet the obligation to play. A paltry fine is insufficent, maybe a substantial financial punishment would ensure the fixtures are fulfilled. Other thoughts on this??

billy johnston

Bangor

12th Sep 2008

Not sure if John is speaking for Lurgan or not but it's a sad day if that's the case. People like Neil Hunter come across as very responsible on NCU and general cricket matters so it seems irresponsible to agree a re-arranged fixture that you are not going to play. But some clubs are used to it because they'll do it too. Look at Dundrum a couple of weeks ago preferring to do nothing rather than travel. They did nothing wrong and hid behind the rules. And these are the same rules Interested Party wants the NCU to do something about. Get real, it's the clubs that want their cake and eat it and people like you who wrongly blame the NCU for things that are not their doing.

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

12th Sep 2008

Interested Observer

This is already happening. Teams are already insisting Lurgan play them on a Friday when there has been lots of other dates available such as Bank holidays and free Saturdays. This is because for most teams this will be there only Friday fixture but for Lurgan the cumulative effect has been very destructive. Lurgan need to play Sunday cricket to stop this.

However it is the area of rearranged matches that is causing serious stress to players and causing them to leave the game in droves. Bottom line is that we should have one attempt at rearranging and then split the points. Making everyone a loser because it rains is just so negative, and so is this attitude we have of mutual distrust. If we were all more charitable to one another the whole landscape of NCU cricket would be changed for the better.

John

Belfast

12th Sep 2008

Completely agree with what you are saying and that this issue of Sunday cricket needs to be looked at.

But from the Lurgan players point of view I would probably make the same decision even though I realise this is not at all fair on the other teams.

It is always the case at the end of the season that teams who have something to play for win alot of games in September due to other teams not being able to get teams out primarily due to other winter sports. 2 up 2 down has done something to help as more teams have something to play for at the back end of the season but I am afraid that this will always be the case

Stephen

downpatrick

12th Sep 2008

Its ok if there is a no result because of rain, but for a senior team not to play a fixture because of not being able to get a team is a joke.
There should a fine imposed or points deducted.

Interested Observer

Belfast

12th Sep 2008

John,
Thanks for your reply. I dont know which teams in section 2 dont play Sundays. So am I right in saying that those teams, fighting relegation or pushing for promotion, yet to play non-Sunday playing teams, are better of arranging games for a Friday, therefore increasing their chances of 4 points? Maybe Downpatrick, Laurelvale, Dundrum and Saintfield should all declare that they will not play Sunday Cricket..and maybe they should also confirm that Friday is the Muslim Day of Rest and they cannot play then either or where does it end???

John

Belfast

12th Sep 2008

to interested observer - I sympathize with the teams you mention but at the end of the day Friday cricket means days off work. With Lurgan having nothing to play for at this stage of the season can you really blame their players for not giving up hundreds of pounds in wages in order to help other teams? Im not saying its fair but that is the way it is

The NCU will do nothing as there is a provision in the rules for this in that they forfeit the 4 points

Interested Observer

Belfast

12th Sep 2008

I find it very strange that Lurgan who dont play cricket on a Sunday take a fixture on a Friday and cant field a team. Have Lurgan not got 11 players in their whole squad who can play this fixture. I wonder, as an obeserver, what the guys in Donwpatrick, Saintfield, Laurelvale and in particular Dundrum think of this. NCU what are you going to do?????????

H Smith

Work

11th Sep 2008

Re: NCU AGM proposals

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES2/articles/000043/004399.shtml

Just a few days left for any further proposals to be put forward for the AGM. Does anyone have any thoughts on the rule changes being proposed by the Management Committee? They all seem positive moves to me and should ease the fixture congestion in future.

One concern, that has been pointed out recently (and on the other channel) for 2009 would be that Section 4 may only have 6 teams, and if Cliftonville fold then maybe only 5? Would it not be an idea to combine Sections 3 and 4 for the 2009 season before the change to 8 team leagues - otherwise Section 4 teams will really have nothing to play for next season?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Peter Smith

waiting for the summer...

11th Sep 2008

Re David Somerville/Dave (Work)

Here is my team of the season (or 2/3's of it!)

1. Ryan Haire
2. J. Montgomery
3. N. Jones (c)
4. D. Heasley
5. R. West
6. J. Shannon
7. J. Bushe (wk)
8. E. Moleon
9. R. Eagleson
10. A. Coulter
11. M. Moreland

12th man : M. Hutchinson

michael paterson

Lisburn

11th Sep 2008

Dave, most people would have West in that team before at least 8 others. But you are entitled to your opinion.

Andrew Cowden

Home

11th Sep 2008

Ref. Chris Busby

For those that don’t know, although Chris does, I’ve been coaching Ballyclare High 1st XI with Simon Thompson for the last 2 years, and four years ago played both school cricket (For Ballyclare with Chris) and Section 1 cricket.
I’d like to point out to Chris that Simon and myself allowed on several occasions our better players not to play for the school and go and play for TCC First team. Also there was at least one, I think two Saturday’s TCC never had scheduled games, and several TCC players got valuable game time with the school which can only be to BHS and TCC’s benefit, one of these games was against a strong RBAI side at Osbourne.
We have thought that this gives other members of our team, more valuable opportunity to both bat and bowl and develop these players as cricketers for the School’s Cup, McCullough Cup and also for there clubs (Mainly TCC). I can certainly see improvement in a lot of TCC players at Ballyclare High over my 2 years of coaching.
Also these players getting more opportunity when the better players are not available or do not perform (which does happen), I would argue that in alot of the games (not even against the top school sides) they are facing at LEAST two better bowlers, (probably more) than they would playing for TCC 2nds (Division 2 Section 3) or TCC 3rd’s (Division 3 Section 4). Also getting these players games of cricket in which they are contributing in is important also, to keep them involved in the game as TCC 2nd XI have only played 5 league games (Limited opportunity) and there 3rd’s 9 league games.
There is also a benefit to all are players playing against the top school sides for example Bangor Grammar and RBAI, to name a couple, as they play against several players with Premier League experience, which they are not exposed to playing for their club. Bangor Grammar beat us in the Quarter Final of the Schools cup this year and our better players didn’t come to the fore.
But I certainly think the school’s cricket committee and NICA need to think about the future structure of school’s cricket, although it will not be easy to please everyone.
I personally think a 20 over league on a Saturday morning, all games to start at 9am therefore they would be over 11.30 latest. If a team arrives late they lose overs of their innings, this ensures that the games still finish on time. Have a league table and trophy to make the games competitive, unlike current Saturday morning fixtures. All school cup matches (40 overs), McCullough Cup matches and Sherrygroom Cup matches (30 overs) are played during the week. This gives players the opportunity to play 20, 30 and 40 over cricket as well as playing club cricket on a Saturday afternoon.

Peter Whitten

Brussels

11th Sep 2008

Re Academy v Cooke,

Karl, that is slanderous talk ... even if it maybe had a ring of truth in the past! We've got a good few young players coming through now so we hope to push for promotion in the coming seasons.

The simple reason we lost the points is that we didn't have a ground. Unfortunately the current rules mean that teams have to keep re-arranging fixtures till the end of September even if quite a few of them have little or no chance of finding a ground. So, in the event of bad weather as we've had this year, the end of season promotion/relegation battle is determined by who has a pitch. Should someone not propose to change this at the AGM? Or is there a logic there somewhere?

Response

That someone could be you Peter...

Dave

belfast

11th Sep 2008

David - I just think with an average of 13 with the bat and taking 9 wickets (3 of which were v Dundrum)there are others more deserving of a place thats all.

And Robin who would you drop for Regan to come in?? No denying he is one of the best in the country which is why i had him in my 12?! From the 12 i listed why should I have to "get real"?

David Somerville

Holywood

11th Sep 2008

Whats wrong with Paul McCrum as 12th man? - I believe he has taken wickets and scored some invaluable runs as CI struggle to avoid the drop