Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Tim Browne

Work

8th Sep 2008

Re: Bruce Topping

I think that you are right about the Armagh v Laurelvale game. I had just glanced at the tables to see which games may be effected. I had seen that Charles McCrum came on late in the game and bowled 10 overs but only 2 bowlers bowled 10 and so that seems fine.

I understand that only 4 games are affected.

Not sure if the Dundrum v Ballymena has been declared void as yet. Only 2 balls bowled over the allocation here but still against the rules.

I had previously understood that if a game was declared void it could not be replayed.

Some good suggestions from Bruce and Charles regarding reduction of games. The North West idea of a quick mid week rearrangement 20 overs per side is a good one. Teams would then perhaps have one training session that week and play a game. It would not be as disruptive. If the game could not be played then it would be a "no result." No need for Duckworth Lewis. I understand that for all international cricket there is a Duckworth Lewis expert on the end of a phone line ready to provide a ruling if one is required. As Charles says maybe we are complicating things a bit. If Duckworth Lewis is abandoned will clubs be reimbursed for shelling out good money on computers etc???

Also don't see any reason why the mid week game should not be played on a mat if it is too wet to play on grass, surely anything to get a result?

Like Ivan I would also be all in favour of an 11.00 am start. Cricket in schools can be accomodated during the school week. Those at school who play senior club cricket will learn a good deal more about the game at their club.

ed

NA

8th Sep 2008

Gordon,
Not disputing other Leinster teams come to the party but the comment was based on North County winning the league four out of the past five years (2003-6) and two cup final appearances (one win) in the same period. They have also won the DGM League this season and lost the cup final to Clontarf. That's pretty dominant even before you add five Irish Senior Cup wins. However, I acknowledge Clontarf and Railway have had their successes as well.
Ed

Nile Smith

belfast

8th Sep 2008

If schools give up playing matches would they not give up coaching cricket too? I was introduced to cricket at school not at a club. Don't we need more schools playing cricket not fewer?

gordon lamb

Belfast

8th Sep 2008

Editor

"North County continual dominance of leinster cricket". You will find that Clontarf won the league and cup last year. They have won the cup this year. North County are very much worthy champions of the Irish senior cup, but such is the strength in Dublin other teams come to the party.

Congratulations to North County on a fine win.

Chris Busby

TCC

8th Sep 2008

Re Early Start of Games

Ivan while personally I would be all for an early start I don't see it happening. There is no doubt that you have 'hit the nail on the head' in saying that school cricket is meaningless (possibly aside from the schools cup) however, try telling the school teachers that. I think that if we did start earlier it would just mean many clubs playing without the best players on a Saturday with pupils forced to represent their school team regardless of what level they play at their club- certainly I would think Ballyclare High would take that attitude with many of our players. This could lead to many kids finding other things to do on a Saturday afternoon and we may lose them forever. I agree that something has to be done, even since I have started playing about 6 years ago the dramatic decline in numbers and general interest from young people has been astonishing and I think much of the reason for that is the fact that cricket is an all day sport, however finding a solution that suits all parties will be far from easy.

Bruce Topping

Laurelvale

8th Sep 2008

RE : Tim Browne

I have just found out that Laurelvale's away match with Ballymena has to be replayed. As far as I am aware the Armagh game does not need to replayed as it was within the rules. (ie the game was reduced to 47 overs which means two bowlers from each side were permitted to bowl 10 overs each.

I see this has now been reflected in the latest "official" league table together with the "no results" over the weekend.

It would now be interesting to see the latest net run rate tables for section 2.

michael patterson

Lisburn

7th Sep 2008

Ivan, I think your poll is as accurate as you'll get as everyone has had it with the weather this season and the early starts has been around for some time. Finishing at 5-30 or 6-30 hardly matters as most of the teams end up in the bar afterwards anyway so it might increase bar sales. The NW 20 overs midweek re-arrangement is also a good suggestion.

Tony

Home

7th Sep 2008

no idea why games cant be played on astro turf at the end of the season? no team is at a disadvantage are they? also as the weather is predominantly dry in may and june why cant there be double headers in these months as we know if we dont get them played we will be backlogged into september.

Such a fustrating summer but a pattern seems to be emerging over the last few summers therefore solutions need to be made!

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

7th Sep 2008

Poll Result to the question "would you be in favour from 2009 of all matches starting at 11am ?" .Of 39 delivered messages by 5.15pm Sunday the results were.30 YES.2 NO.7 did not reply.
Over the last three years I have texted the numbers on my phone of players and if I get 25% bothering to reply that's the height of it so to 80% replying was enlightening.
Has anyone else conducted a similar poll ?

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

7th Sep 2008

I have texted the following messages to 42 players at Muckamore.
"I am conducting a poll for the Ulster Cricketer.Would you be in favour from 2009 of all matches starting at 11am.Please text me back a simple yes or no."
I haven't expressed my views to them and I have texted every cricket member who was on my mobile number including guys who play irregular.Every club must have a guy ( probably the 2nds or 3rds capt ) who has a majority of players mobile numbers. Just think with over 30 clubs at an average of 30 numbers each we could canvas the views of 1,000 cricket PLAYERS in a matter of minutes .This poll could give some momentum for meaningful change.I think that a lot of the delegates who go to the NCU AGM are removed from the thinking of the actual people who really matter - Those playing the game.The same could be levelled against some club committees.This poll could within 48 hours give us a feeling for what the players think.It took me about 20 minutes to send those texts and over 50% responded one way or other immediately.I will post the results later on.

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

7th Sep 2008

Rearrangements and shortening of games. I think the game one scenario overs in each league is about right and would favour the NW rearrangement strategy of the game being played within say 10 days as a 20/20. A one night midweek rearrangement should suit most teams.
The one thing I would really like to see changed are the start times.Why can't we start at 11am in ALL leagues.?
Surely the days of meaningful Saturday school cricket are long gone.
At Muckamore I feel we are lucky that neither Antrim Grammar or Parkhall High School play Saturday cricket. As a result Jason V de Merve, Sunsoon Stephenson and Craig Drummond all Parkhall students have all been available to play in our firsts while at least another half dozen boys play every week in our 2nds and 3rds.We were delighted this year to win the Graham Cup with a full team of boys who play no Saturday school cricket but play in our adult teams.Surely they learn more playing alongside ex Senior players than as fielders in meaningless games.
Can anyone name me a player who has emerged in the last ten years since the NCU under age system really kicked in through Saturday school cricket.I have seen at first hand a guy at our club who was playing between 1sts and 2nds who after his GCSE's left Parkhall to go to a Belfast grammar school and playing all over the country on Saturday mornings and missing all club matches up until July he is now a 3rds player.
If we start at 11am most junior cricket ( all leagues outside 1sts ) should be done and dusted by 5.30pm.
That way we aren't interfering with players social lives.I think that is one of the society changes that threatens our sport more than any aspect of the sport itself.When I was growing up the cricket club was our social life.
Can we conduct some sort of online poll to see how many members would be in favour of matches starting at 11am all season.I am going to text all the Muckamore guys that I have numbers for today and will put the results on here.

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

6th Sep 2008

Wayne. I understand that teams can decide to play or not play depending om the needs of the team. A better system needs to be in place and from talking to Andy Clement the other evening I know the NCU are taking the rearrangements issue seriously. I have a friend involved in cricket in Bath where traditionally they get better weather than us and they have a NO REARRANGEMENT policy with NO points for either team. Season ends at end of August before the hockey and rugby season get underway.
Tim. That's an interesting slant on it. What would have happened if you had played by the rules and lost would you have been then awarded the game because Michael bowled too many overs or would it simply have been replayed. We will never know.
I went to Strabane today hoping and expecting to see a Donemana victory but they were outplayed by a display of bowling and fielding like I have never seen from a club side in Ireland. Everyone on the North County side looked fit and they took some good catches and made some great stops. Adrain Murphy was particularily good. Fair bit for any Northern side to go to match them. Fantastic crowd and well done to Strabane for getting the game on in such trying circumstances.

Wayne Horwood

home

6th Sep 2008

Ivan I think you missed the point of my comment. Perceived Inconsistencies in decisions albeit I do not know the facts of the cases so I am commenting as an observer.

I did not mention any clubs as it is not a cheap swipe at your club or any club for that matter despite how you have interpreted it.

As for claiming the points I have witnessed ours 2s get relegated a couple of years ago as in September other clubs could not get grounds and fixtures were not enforced/points claims and they got relegated. This year a serious amount of hard work has gone in and we want to ensure that it results in promotion and that is not distorted by others playing games and our guys not playing (we were due to lose our ground this weekend which is a major factor we have to consider). From what I could see a precedent had been set earlier in the year in the junior cup game but obviously facts were different.

Bruce Topping

Working on my maths

6th Sep 2008

Okay I cant add up !

Section 4 would have to be 9 teams
(8+9+10+9)

jeff maguire

off too get my GRAND,lol

6th Sep 2008

re bruce, wish i still didnt love MY SPORT OR CLUB as their has too be a better way think CHARLIE MCCRUM & IVAN & few others talk lot sense & maybe they can come up with plan? my view is that section 3 & 4& all second team cricket should be 40 overs ( id say this again if dundrum were in either) section 1&2 stay at at 50. Also think that you have the 22 day rearrangment & then it goes too a 20 over game midweek if possible ?Cricket is a dying sport & ther will be no STALWARTS in 20 years thats why i think we need too get game shorter too give the young players a chance too not waste the whole weekend travelling & playing our beloved game of cricket .