Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

jeff maguire

off too get my GRAND,lol

6th Sep 2008

re bruce, wish i still didnt love MY SPORT OR CLUB as their has too be a better way think CHARLIE MCCRUM & IVAN & few others talk lot sense & maybe they can come up with plan? my view is that section 3 & 4& all second team cricket should be 40 overs ( id say this again if dundrum were in either) section 1&2 stay at at 50. Also think that you have the 22 day rearrangment & then it goes too a 20 over game midweek if possible ?Cricket is a dying sport & ther will be no STALWARTS in 20 years thats why i think we need too get game shorter too give the young players a chance too not waste the whole weekend travelling & playing our beloved game of cricket .

Bruce Topping

Bored at home with no match again

6th Sep 2008

re Jeff,

I dont envy your job as match secretary and I really hope that we have driest, hottest September on record but somehow I doubt it ....!

I have a great deal of sympathy for Woodvale's position as they are suffering through no fault of their own.

It seems to be that the common sense approach would to be allow the results to stand but unfortunately in these litigious times, it appears the NCU has to engage in "cya" and apply the rules to the letter.

It seems to me that most years sections 1 and 2 have problems completing their league fixtures and I think it is far from ideal that promotion and relegation could be potentially be sorted out by playing 10 over bashes in September on wet pitches.
I read Paul Stafford's comment about Cliftonville unfortunately being on the brink of collapse. If this did happen we would be left with 36 senior teams and I would suggest the following league structure to ease fixture problems in sections 1 and 2.

Reduce section 1 to eight teams (14 league matches per team) plus ISC, Senior Cup and Club Turf.

Reduce Section 2 to 9 teams (16 league matches plus Senior Cup and Ulster Shield.

Keep section 3 at 10 teams and increase section 4 to 10 teams. Both play in Junior Cup or senior cup (for top of secton 3).

I'm sure this has all been debated before but I think the clubs definitely have to agree some changes as the status quo is not working.

jeff maguire

win a GRAND?

6th Sep 2008

dundrum v laurelvale off sunday. think try few pints & horses today. eway zezao, al shelali, nap ethaara,nb candela boy, best outsiders supersonic dave ,formation,secret night, think in football georgia,denmark & norn iron all too DRAW & if you bet them too draw halftime & full time pays a over a GRAND for a tenner which if VANBURN wants too try a little 1£ bet he can win 125£

jeff maguire

holiday needed

5th Sep 2008

DOWNPATRICK GAME WITH DUNDRUM at downpatrick IS OFF SAT 6 SEPT rearanged for sunday 21sept. weather permitting.

Tim Browne

Still mystified in Moira (but with better spelling)

5th Sep 2008

Ivan

I am not so sure that it is as simple as you suggest. Sure this year it seems that it may not result in any change in who goes up or down but some year it just might matter. As Gareth Dempster suggests we have been here before.

If we take the Dundrum v Ballymena game for example. Ballymena won by six wickets, doesn't seem to have been a close game. The fact is that Dundrum's opening bowler Connor bowled just two balls over his allocation. Why should Ballymena be punished? However, as you state a breach of the rules is still a breach. The NCU have no choice, still quite harsh on Ballymena who did nothing wrong and (as with us and Michael Glass) could do nothing to prevent the opposition bowler causing the breach.

In our match with Ballymena if we had refused to retake the field after our innings (after they had breached the rules) would we have been awarded the game? In other words does it matter who was guilty of the first breach? Or again would that be disobeying the the men in sole charge of the game?

This one seems to just run and run.

P.S Wayne thanks for the good wishes. Perhaps if your sick of winning trophies (for a change) you may rejoin our ranks for next years title push!

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

5th Sep 2008

What else could the NCU do? Ignore the fact that the game wasn't played as per the rules. As it turns out the decision won't influence a change in the promoted clubs but why should that be a consideration. For as long as most of us can remember the bowling restriction has been 1 / 5 of the overs bowled. Why should this change in this game to let Ian Cleland bowl unchanged at one end ? NCU officials are appointed by the clubs . The rules are agreed by the clubs. Without either we have anarchay. Imagine being an official in a season like this. We don't have to agree with them all the time but let's give them our full support.
As for Wayne Horwood's cheap swipe at Muckamore. Our 1sts cup game we were told took preference over the 2nds league game. As it was in July we were well within our rights to go for a rearrangement and offered various Sundays. age inter provincial at Stormont. Understandably the NCU agreed with our stance as we broke no rules. If I were you Wayne I would be asking who in your club allowed a claim to be made for the points in the first place.Club officials first priority should be to promote the playing of games.Some clubs want to play on the field some clubs want points at any cost.I'm glad to be a member of a club that wants to play cricket.

Dazzler

Home on a friday for once

5th Sep 2008

Good fun as always reading this and the other "channels". Don't have enough time to comment on all the issues but just had a thought while having lunch with another senior cricketer who in his case has seven games still to play and tomorrow match has already been called off. With the global climate changing and lack of school boys playing senior cricket-what about moving the season so it starts sometime in march and try to finish it in june/july.
Anyway good luck to all groundsmen, umpires and subdued players for the rest of the season

Gareth McCarter

The Mall

5th Sep 2008

The Mall isn't looking too hot for our double header against Saintfield and Holywood this weekend, its absolutely lashing today, but as Downpatrick will no doubt testify we do everything in our power to get the game played, even if the pitch might not be the best. We would hope to be able to host Dundrum next Saturday, although I won't be playing. Going to need some pretty good weather between now and then, which is something I wouldn't want to be gambling too much upon.

jeff maguire

getting ronnies canoe out again

5th Sep 2008

re bruce. unfortunatly as match sec i have too arrange all our games so dont see why 1 more makes any difference (id quite like too see Ballymena here on 26 sept with a WEAK TEAM .lol)NCU have too make sure that common sense prevails as this wet weather will see a lot of players & match secs quitting . tim our ground was 2 days away from being playable but with the downpour today i have rang ANDREW too ask can Woodvale host us NEXT SUNDAY.this is only my opinion (not clubs) but think that all the results should stand as bet you best team won on the day& no doubt Ballymena & Woodvale have been streets ahead in section two.PS not often i want too stick up for Downpatrick but the critism of their ground is totally wrong as the DOWN DEMOCRAT CUP FINAL proved the place can host & provide fantastic atmosphere & i have never heard ANY player in any section not wanting too play on a superb ground & the ones who usually slag grounds off dont mention if they play or if they just on the forum too create mischief.pps gareth we havent played at the mall in 25 years if you were betting man what odds next sat & keep believing as its never over till the fat lad sings( & i dont mean Greenleas )

Gareth Dempster

wet wet woodvale

5th Sep 2008

NCU - FARCE

THOSE WORDS SEEM TO BE USED EVERY SEASON.

I HAVE NO DOUBT WOODVALE WILL FIGHT THIS, BUT AS FAR AS IM AWARE I THINK THE STUFFING HAS BEEN KNOCKED OUT OF THEM. OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS AN AWFUL LOT OF HARD WORK HAS BEEN DONE AT WOODVALE ON AND OFF THE FIELD TO TAKE THE CLUB BACK INTO SECTION ONE (JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER CLUB). CRICKET IN INNER CITY BELFAST IS DYING, RECRUITING PLAYERS HAS BECOME VERY DIFFICULT AND KEEPING THEM IN CRICKET IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE FOR MANY REASONS. DECISIONS LIKE THIS CERTAINLY DON'T HELP...... I WAS ALWAYS TOLD THE UMPIRES DECISION IS FINAL AND NEVER QUESTION IT, DO WE NOW TEACH KIDS TO QUESTION THE UMPIRES JUDGEMENT???!!!!!

BEFORE I TAKE OUT THE VIOLIN AND THE CLEENEX I WOULD ASK EVERY CRICKETER TO PUT THEMSELVES IN THE WOODVALE CAPTAINS SHOES........ EVEN IF HE HAD INSTRUCTED THE WOODVALE BOWLERS TO ONLY BOWL 1/5 OF THE ALLOCATED OVERS (DESPITE GIVING THE OPPOSITION AN OBVIOUS ADVANTAGE) THE MATCH WOULD STILL HAVE BEEN DECLARED VOID DUE TO THE OPPOSITION BOWLERS EXCEEDING THE ALLOCATION.

IN NO WAY DO I WANT TO POINT THE FINGER AT THE UMPIRES IN QUESTION AS THEY ARE DEDICATED AND DO A FANTASTIC JOB THAT I WOULD NEVER CONSIDER DOING. HOWEVER, IF THE NCU WANT TO EVENTUALLY HAVE A CRICKET SEASON WITHOUT CONTROVERSY THEY NEED TO START SINGING FROM THE SAME HYMN SHEET AS THEIR UMPIRES.

SUCH A SHAME YET ANOTHER SEASON HAS BEEN RUINED BY NOT JUST THE WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!

Char McCrum

Lurgan

5th Sep 2008

Sensible article from Timmy Browne. Understand totally where he is coming from. Laurelvale were put out of a competition basically because the umps got it wrong and Woodvale are now asked to replay games because the umps got it wrong. Thankfully as Bruce points out, the two teams which I predicted to go up, should still go up. However, why should Woodvale have to replay 2 games?
Can I also point out that I am not pointing the finger at the NCU umps who do a good job. Lets ease the pressure on them a little and get shot of Duckworth Lewis. It is a lot of hassle for everyone for what should be a simple club cricket game. If the first league fixture is not completed because of the weather then lets just keep trying for a twenty over game to get a result. Lets face it, in ten years time we will probably be playing 20/20 cricket instead of fifty overs.

Gareth McCarter

The wet Mall :(

5th Sep 2008

Optimism is a must have quality for any Armagh cricketer!

Regardless of any NCU decisions, I think that the aim of any season is that the best teams in a league get promoted, and there can be little doubt that Ballymena and Woodvale have been the two stand out teams in Section 2 this year, and by quite a margin at that. I would hope that any voided matches and no-results won't change that in the final reckoning. More chance that they will have a say at the bottom of the table than the top

Bruce Topping

Laurelvale

5th Sep 2008

Re: Tim Browne

I cannot see Dundrum rearranging another fixture with so few weeks to the end of the season, particularly with another wet weekend predicted.

Still it will be interesting to see how things work out in the next few weeks.

I think the two up two down system is brilliant - I have not played in a single meaningless match this season and as a consequence every match has been played with a real competitive edge. Great Fun !

Paul Doherty

Ballynahinch

5th Sep 2008

RE Andrew Haire

Again, dont put your name forward. Clubs dont do it for money - it is for the prestige of hosting a final at one of the best grounds in the country. North Down still had to prepare wickets for 1st and 2nd XI games throughout the period of having no groundsman, the outfield still had to be cut etc - you cant seriously tell me that it would have been a great hassle to prepare one more wicket or re-use one of the better strips! I am sure re-using one of the old stripe would still have been good enough!

Tim Browne - I hope Woodvale fight this! Sounds like another crazy decision from the NCU!!

Tim Browne

Work (sort of)

5th Sep 2008

Apologies for jumping the gun on relegation Gareth, but I do admire your optimism. I have no problems with Armagh either and it too is a great place to play.

Bruce perhaps failed to notice that whether Lauelvale replay their games or not may not matter. The fact is that the game between Dundrum and Ballymena may need to be replayed and Dundrum could win this, though it did seem to be Dundrum's home game and so the fact Eaton Park is unavailable may not matter. Not so sure Ballymena will be keen to send out their strongest team for these three rearrangements when they thought their season was all but over and when they appear to be up anyway. Who knows. Presumably the friday issue will again crop up.

Has Dundrum dried out yet Jeff? It may just see some interesting cricket!

The main difficulty with the Ballymena match from my perspective was that the game was surely voided when Michael Glass exceeded his over allocation. There was nothing Woodvale could do about that (apart from the captain walking onto the field to confront the umpires?) and even if we had bowled 5 x 4 overs and won the game would be lost as the rules were breached.

Retiring to be an umpire may not be the best idea after all! Where does it end? If a 5 or 7 ball over is bowled will games be voided? How does a captain prevent that from happening?

Any further thoughts?