Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

mark

Belfast

3rd Sep 2008

Paul, if all the clubs took that approach where would the finals be played? Right now a few clubs are asking themselves why are we doing this? Certainly not for the money or the glory as there's neither when hosting a cup final or representative match. When unions pay for services cynics like you can voice your criticism when clubs don't deliver but until then ask yourself are you being fair with your snide remark?

Paul Doherty

Ballynahinch

3rd Sep 2008

Andrew

Well then dont put your name forward for cup finals if you dont have the resources.

Andrew Haire

Comber

2nd Sep 2008

Re Gary

North Down were able to hold the Under 15 Final, due to alot of hard work put in by a number of hard working volunteers, that we are very lucky to have at our club - producing even an average grass wicket over the last couple of weeks has proven extremely difficult for alot clubs who have full time groundsmen within their ranks.

The fact that we could not host the Junior Cup final was down to the fact that these volunteers are exactly that (volunteers) and cannot be available 24/7 throughout the summer months!

Pat

Golf Course, Downpatrick

2nd Sep 2008

Word has reached me that Dundrum Pro Manni Fernando who has become increasingly disillusioned with the Summer weather has been trying to earn a wildcard place on Faldo's Ryder Cup team for the match in Kentucky. However, Manni's gross score of 150 has failed to impress the selector's. What Dundrum wouldn't give for a similar score this Saturday!

brendan

Derry

2nd Sep 2008

Let's see some NCU supporters up in Strabane on Friday supporting our northern team. We've had to listen to a lot of crowing from the Leinster people in the last four years so its time for everyone to get behind the wheel.
Good luck Donemana.

michael patterson

Lisburn

2nd Sep 2008

Jeff,
Playing or praying is a good choice of words. Let's hope they don't come back to haunt you.
Well done on getting the grass cut. Is Ronnie's canoe marooned on the outfield?

jeff maguire

dundrum

1st Sep 2008

ryan, if the person you refer too is me then that is wrong! I am match sec & dont have the power to make a decision that is not mine too make what i did agree too was that if our ground wasnt playable i would put your request too the first team that they go too seapark myself & the captain agreed that it was good idea but the team voted that they wanted too wait on the 2nd game at home i also told roger bell that at the time if we agreed that we would switch & i still think in my opinion that it was a risky call but not my choice. lets also be real if holywood had been 4 points ahead of us you would not of offered us a switch but too end this matter if i had been my decision i wood have made my team go as id rather take my chance playing instead of praying on the weather. ps we got ground cut & had 10 working tonight raking & lifting grass so dont think for 1 minute that we dont want too play & pitch getting cut a further two times this week so we hope too play on sunday but if the forecast is right their is too a lot off heavy thunder showers this week with just RAIN between the showers on friday.ps taito .dont spend it all.

Ryan McMaster

Holywood CC

1st Sep 2008

Stevie Max.
Maybe your right, its funny I just had a conversation with someone and I asked what Holywood would do if we were in Dundrums position. I would like to think we would travel to a playable ground - but probably would do the same as you.
What I found amazing was I was told by a Dundrum person that if your ground was not playable - Dundrum would travel to Seapark and the league secretary was told the same. Didnt happen in the end.
But as someone said, you do whats best for your club interests. I just hope your ground is ready and the game is played on 20th as I know both teams want to play.

taito

counting down the hours to bermuda

1st Sep 2008

yes jeff hopefully you get it fit for sunday and you's can give it a go and maybe get a couple of wins to stay up. I wouldnt say we are safe yet, one win out of the three games we have at the weekend would do it but it isnt for sure yet.
Unless your coming to bermuda jeff i doubt you will see me on saturday!! but if we lose again you will get your money.

Gareth i can assure you that we did not underestimate any side in section 2. We knew it would be a tough legaue and i dont think i would be wrong to say we under performed in many of the games which has left us where we are.

Gareth McCarter

The Mall.

1st Sep 2008

Depends which experts you were paying attention to I suppose, I think pretty much everyone expected Ballymena to streak away with Section Two, although most would predicted a more stern challenge from Lurgan and Downpatrick. Perhaps the latter were guilty of underestimating a lot of their opponents.

jeff maguire

groundsman working overtime

1st Sep 2008

taito, great weekend for downpatrick that all but leaves you safe. I can assure you that we are working hard too get the ground ready for sunday & as long as it dont get heavy rain on friday we fully expect too play in the meadow as the drainage work that Alistar Glover put in is still working well . the groundsman TOMMY CURLETT( unpaid star) has been working flat out & hopefully ther be few tonight too help as we dont want any no results as we still think that we can win all 3 games at home & maybe at least 1 away.ps might catch you for sort out the wager we had on sat win lose or draw

mark

Belfast

1st Sep 2008

Looking back to the start of the season I think the experts got it badly wrong when they predicted a tight promotion race in section two as Ballymena has romped it and Woodvale is the best of the rest. Section one should have a tight finish with CSN and North Down in a head to head but the real excitement in both sections will be in the relegation zone. Two up and two down was the best decision the NCU has made for years.

michael patterson

Lisburn

1st Sep 2008

Nice post Stevie Max. I don't think your decision to hang on to home advantage was amazing but I do think it will be amazing if your ground dries out after the flood you have had. Make the decisions that serve your club best as that's exactly what everybody else does. You should never be criticised for doing the best for your club. Good luck with the drying.

taito

work

1st Sep 2008

Jeff i am sure you and a lot of boys were working very hard to get your place playable. Fair play to you all. After the water that was on your ground it will be amazing that you are going to play on it again this season. Interesting weekend in both sections its going to be tight at the bottom of both

Stevie Max

Dundrum Cricket Club

1st Sep 2008

Just wanted to help clarify the position of Dundrum CC, specifically on Holywood Secretarys comments regarding Dundrum v Holywood. Can Ryan honestly tell the forum that if his club and team in particular were in the position of having their ground unplayable coupled witht the fact that knowing that they were strong at home, would he be willing to switch grounds? I think not. Although I am a regular to this forum, I rarely post on it, but I read somewhere that Dundrums decision not to take up Holywoods offer was amazing. Obviously the comment was made by someone living in cloud cuckoo-land or they have no idea what playing at home means to clubs. Just one other point, Jeff Maguire didnt make the decision regarding the switch, it was a club decision and one that, under the same circumstances, we would definitely make the same call.