Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

michael patterson

Lisburn

21st Aug 2008

Vanburn,
What does this mean?
"the fact is that this is an amalgamation of 2 proud Clubs whose constitution within the NCU is on this basis." Now we are really confused. I think what needs to be clarified is whether CSN inherits NICC's and Civil Service CC's previous records. Obviously the history is already in place and explains the origins of the new club but can the new club honestly claim it owns the performances of two former clubs that had totally different identities. It is confusing when some members say you have a new identity and others appear to say you are the same people under a new banner. Fact is CSN is neither NICC or Civil Service CC so sorry if we are still confused. Or maybe it is none of our business!

jeff maguire

no TURKISH delight

21st Aug 2008

Just too let anyone who is interested that Dundrumm cricket clubs website is closed until further notice as Turkish hacker has got in too the site & caused a lot of problems but Rodney currently in england might be able too sort it out when he comes home. The WATER is clearing & the hard work starts asap as the (optimistic) hard working groundsman Tommy Curlett thinks we will play in the meadow if we get some drying weather(id bet againest that) but we will try our best.

David Norman Vanburn Heaney

Home

20th Aug 2008

Re: Billy Pollock and Wayne
I agree this is a new era, and CSN is totally different to what has gone in the past. However, the fact is that this is an amalgamation of 2 proud Clubs whose constitution within the NCU is on this basis. The past history of both Clubs has therefore to be taken into consideration, and Holmesy was quite right to quote the number of times that the Senior Challenge Cup has been won by NICC and/or Civil Service.

ronnie mcalpine

dundrum

20th Aug 2008

re; michael patterson

hi michael interesting you discribe an umpire making a decision as "putting they're head on the block" nothing is further from the truth, and as for favouring certain bowlers or batsmen....definately not as far as i'm concerned. impartiality is of utmost importance. as for worrying about what players or spectators think, why would i?. a decision is made honestly and on the laws of cricket. sure mistakes happen but as long as an umpire gives what he is sure in his mind about, then what a player or anyone else thinks is totally irrelevent. i stood in a game earlier in the season where after both umpires conferred the batsman was given not out. after the game the wicket keeper, the bowler, the batsman and a spectator all had different views on what should have been given. in the end the only one that mattered was the one in the score book!!!

billy pollock

Belfast

20th Aug 2008

Thanks Wayne and congratulations. I watched many a North game over the years and agree this is a new era. I'm sure you young fellas will write your own history and we all wish you well. Never played cricket at Stormont but a few games of rugby! Lovely setting.

Wayne Horwood

Looking at the sun??

20th Aug 2008

You are correct Billy this is the first time CSNI at senior level has won a major trophy and that is how the players viewed last week.

billy pollock

Belfast

20th Aug 2008

Cricket correspondent Davy Holmes says Civil Service North have now won the cup 21 times the last time nine years ago. But surely this is their first win?

michael patterson

Lisburn

20th Aug 2008

Just read Staffy's Blog on the cup final and it nearly did my head in trying to understand it. Have to agree with him on the top bowlers getting better treatment from umpires and the same goes for batsmen. Some umpires are too sensitive to criticism and prefer to give nothing rather than put their head on the block. But who can blame them the way players and spectators react? Stuart Kidd's dismissal didn't decide the cup final, there were many more worthy contenders.

Ryan McCarter

The waterlogged Mall

18th Aug 2008

A fair cop! my wording of the "comparison" was wrong, I see Beverland as having the potential to emulate Hall and Nelson, similar kind of player, with a good technique but he obviously has a long way to go to compare to the Waringstown openers.

Many apologies for any confusion caused there Mr Clarke

david clarke

planet earth

17th Aug 2008

ryan mccarter, im sorry but your asking for this mate! lol your comment that beverland is every bit as good as james hall and lee nelson is probably one of the most hideous i have ever read on a cricket forum! firstly your comparing a young guy with 55 runs all season to an irish senior international opening batsman!! then you compare him to lee who was selected for ireland a earlier in the year! both of them also played in the under 19 world cup in malaysia!! charles has never even scored a senior fifty!!! come on now mate your having a laugh!!

mark

Belfast

17th Aug 2008

I see on the NCU website the Intermediate Cup final was postponed which implies it is going to be played later. However it also says the trophy has been shared!
How can you share a knock-out competition if the final has not been played? Hopefully this is an error. There's no merit in sharing a cup no matter what the weather is like. At least a bowl out produces a winner.

Gareth McCarter

Armagh

17th Aug 2008

No relegation? That'll do for us :)

Realistically not an option in fairness for the NCU to bring in, but with the leagues likely to be restructured for next year anyway it might not have a massive impact on standings.

This weather is pretty terrible though, The Mall square was under water yesterday too :(

jeff maguire

,its just not cricket

17th Aug 2008

danny. yes vandurn was in good form even tho i tipped CISN too win, think ROARING FORTE will win &eway lady grace.good idea too play on astroturf if NCU agree?it has dropped 3 feet but still like a lake & heavy rain forecast monday.ps be great if they decided at tues meeting too have no promotion& relegation. suit us.lol

Danny

Bed

17th Aug 2008

Jeff

Sorry to hear about dundrum being flooded.
Maybe Vanburn will be in good form after CSNI victory in the final and be looking a wee tip!

With all this rain is it about time common sense prevails and the NCU allow senior cricket to be played on astroturf wickets until the end of this season?

jeff maguire

UNDER WATER SIEGE

16th Aug 2008

Summer floods. As most people no I like a odd bet but think might have just found a CERT BET that Dundrum cricket ground The Meadow might just be playable NEXT YEAR as its under 6 feet off flood water and with more rain forecast its only 1 foot off entering the pavillion but suppose their will be a lot off people worse off with homes suffering serious damage & possibly worse.the biggest tide off the "SUMMER" is tonight so we might find some off the clubs equipment on NEWCASTLE beach as most of the sponsorship signs were last seen heading out too sea. Ah well we might get a long dry spell.