Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Paul Stafford

Captain Birds Eye

11th Mar 2008

Lurgan-a sinking ship? I'm making no predictions but we'll see at the end of 2008 where Lurgan and Dundrum end up.
Like I said I wish Dundrum all the best for 2008 and hope you have a successful year. No more fish jokes please!

jeff maguire

the fish is off

11th Mar 2008

paul stafford.yes paul i took it tongue in cheek fish jokes leave a bad smell an after the way you run down ciyms it might have been better too put you in your PLAICE as u done them up like a KIPPER, but we shud stop CODing about!ciyms will no doubt giving you FISHFINGERS. hope the PRAWN sandwiches are good at LURGAN on i forgot you left that SINKING SHIP.LOL

taito

on the end of the hook

11th Mar 2008

jeff your exactly right about CIYMS an absolutely great bunch of fellas, and they deserve to be where they are with a lot of hard work from hughesy and his men. I wish them all the best in the premier league.

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

11th Mar 2008

All tongue in Cheek, Jeff. I think the matches between Dundrum ,Saintfield and Downpatrick will cause a lot of interest in South Down and hopefully attract people to the sport and I genuinely wish you all the best.

Regarding CIYMS, I hope they sign no-one, not because I don't wish them well but because Dempsey, Hewitt and Heasley, good cricketers as they are, won't keep them in Section 1 on their own. The rest of the guys need to step up to the plate. If they do that and survive, they will gain a hell of a lot of respect, more than they would ever get from 'buying' a team.

jeff maguire

fish&river

11th Mar 2008

PAUL STAFFORD.talking of the RIVER if you where a FISH YOU NEVER BE OFF THE HOOK.lol. just would like too add that in 35 years playing i never met better lads on & off the pitch than CIYMS & wish them all the best and any success they get they have worked hard & totally desesrve it all!!

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

10th Mar 2008

The Holm in Donemana is one ground where they like to give the ball 'a drink' so I will have a few opportunities to get my feet wet!

I'm sorry you are going to miss me Jeff but I'm sure you will all enjoy Section 2, and be careful not to get the altitude sickness affecting CIYMS where you throw the contents of your wallet at passing cricketers!

Jeff Maguire

Dundrum

10th Mar 2008

taito. wasnt any dig at downpatrick as a lot people didnt no that nio turned us down saying it wasnt sectarian which was NONSENSE. genius brought 1st team up 2 play us & raised nearly grand. which was great effort!!!! actually wasnt referring to your ground which is one the best in ncu!!! but personally tink most liked name strangford road? was just trying too let few teams no that we will endeavor too make their visit too THE MEADOW as enjoyable as possible!! we are really looking forward 2 playing new teams especially downpatrick as the added interest off rodney & darren & alan heading back should make for some good BANTER? did hear from a well known umpire & member off your club that u wernt getting a pro as u will finish first or second which was quite a BOAST? obviously it is a big step up for dundrum but we have been underdogs b4 & as fa cup shows anything can happen !! the derby games including saintfield will be lively encounters & mark my words their is no pressure on us!

taito

THE MEADOW !!

10th Mar 2008

Jeff do i detect a hint of sarcasm, or a slight dig at us there? surely not, i have to say im looking forward to a game at THE MEADOW (dundrum version) this year, i have never played there and i think the last time i was there was to watch my dad play, many moons ago. Another dig about THE NORTHERN IRELAND OFFICE? if the money is avaiable after a sectarian attack why not take it to re build?

jeff maguire.dundrum cc

forum

8th Mar 2008

just like too say that some class articles on ulster cricketer, esp cricket in finacial overdrive! like too take this oportunity too welcome all the clubs in section 2 too the ONE AN ONLY MEADOW in dundrum, our club has come along way since being being burnt down twice which is testement too all the hard working members. we didnt receive HELP OR £ FROM THE NCU OR NORTHERN IRELAND OFFICE, so it really is quite a success story. we have a beautiful ground with a river that runs past (and not the first time that the opening bowlers have too get their feet wet which believe me usually fires them up) & the hardest working UNPAID GROUNDSMAN in tommy curlett . we would like too extend a warm welcome too all clubs &spectators as dundrum can now boast too having some finest restraunts in COUNTY DOWN!! so if any one wishes too find out more please contact me on 07730334479, ps maybe thats why paul stafford went up west doesnt like getting his feet wet. lol

clarence hiles

Barbados

7th Mar 2008

The new board of Cricket Ireland has met and appointed Joe Doherty as chairman of the cricket committee. Warren Deutrom has confirmed that two of the tasks before this committee will be to review the gap between club and international cricket and the development of elite performers. This is a very positive news and hopefully the committee will seek the views of some of our correspondents who have put up excellent suggestions. Joe, it's time to bring the game to the people and build a new era of cooperation from the grass-roots up. Good luck.

Paul Stafford

RAF in Antrim

6th Mar 2008

Nile,to get Aughnacloy and Super into the same sentence takes some doing!

Are you playing this year? If so Muckamore probably have the best two wicketkeepers in Section 2.

Altogether now, 'Ten German Bombers....

I wonder if Dazzler and Russeller will do a 'Speightstown' at the Rectory?

Nile Smith

Muckamore

5th Mar 2008

Staffy
With your move to brigade are you reverting to type with the perpetual complaint of the Derry-wans that the NW is not connected to the rest of us? Not true.
For you I bring tremendous news - the road authorities North and South are co-operating to build a new super-highway from Derry to Aughnacloy and southwards to Dublin!
Yes - your rarely-seen straight one and your sweeping trap from leg to off (bring-them-over-gradually) will continue be appreciated across the land!
PS I too remember the 3Ws Oval - but to be fair you were one who did NOT bowl FAR TOO SHORT!!

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

5th Mar 2008

Clarence, I can see it's going to be difficult to get you home. Sounds like a great day out. I'm sure those appointed to the top jobs also have the best interest of Irish cricket at heart. As I think does every single poster on the local websites. Things seem to be quiet from the leadership at present. My own feeling is that 110% effort is being put into clinching a major sponsorship package. I would think if that doesn't materialise or doesn't materialise to the extent needed that we will have some very difficult days ahead for Irish cricket. The NCU under Billy Boyd (Lurgan) did much good work with a series of roadshows getting grassroot feedback and this can also be gleamed from the websites. I would love to see more ideas and opinions but they don't have to be nasty or personal. They are just opinions but it certainly is good to hear conflicting views. On the NCU front Section One is going to be tighter than ever. Despite losing three top players North Down will still be hard to beat. Joe Montgomery, Andrew Haire and the Turk will all have a bigger role to play. Any word of any inward movement to The Green?

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

5th Mar 2008

Paul Hatton
An All Ireland league has merits. Belfast to Dublin or Belfast to Derry are comfortable distances but Derry to Dublin is a long way. It could be fair when you leave but off 3/4 of the way there. Not sure it would work.

Paul Hatton

Dublin

5th Mar 2008

Reading some of the recent postings why is there no mention of an All Ireland League these days? Perhaps the new administration is going to shy away from club competitions and concentrate on their youth teams and maybe this will have the best long term benefits.
Maybe.