Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

clarence hiles

Barbados

5th Mar 2008

Ivan, even that task is beyond me!
I think there has been enough speculation and interest to rouse the unions so hopefully they will take all the views on board and come up with something positive. It has to come from the top or it won't work.
Tomorrow I'm entertaining those three wise men Torrens, Linehan and Walsh for a day in the sun in the company of Sir Everton Weekes with a little golf thrown in before lunch. I miss the everyday rumble of local cricket but Barbados has its 'perks.'

ivan mc combe

the future

4th Mar 2008

Clarence, maybe to get things moving we need to elect a committee of One with a remit to improve club, regional and international cricket over a five year period.The One needs to be strong enough to not let the internal politics side track his plan. If you ever think of coming home you would be that One.

mark

Belfast

4th Mar 2008

Ivan it came from a previous posting by you and Staffy's reply. He is a top bloke and I'm not an idiot so keep your comments to cricket and cut out the personal stuff as you sometimes sound like one of those North West ranters. On more important matters the editor's latest blurb probably sums up the situation best but it doesn't offer us much hope for change if the big guys don't give their views. Is there anyone out there from the new boards of the old ICU and NCU who could give us some indication of their thinking? We all want better cricket.

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

4th Mar 2008

Mark, I don't know where this idea that I don't get on with Paul Stafford comes from. I don't know him really. I played against him once or twice, anyone who knows him tell me he's a top bloke. We just had different opinions on somethings. It doesn't mean that I now have to take the opposite opinion to him every time. We probably have many opinions in common.

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

4th Mar 2008

Mark
You are absolutely right that the same leagues & cups will be there in 2008 as the fixtures are set. Any change will have to be brought before the AGM in October 2008 for 09 so it is extremely unlikly any significant change could be made until 2010. That's assuming that there is any appetite for change which isn't certain.

michael patterson

Lisburn

3rd Mar 2008

Following up on the Jesse Ryder article it seems he's become a real personality with the Kiwi public. In tune with his passion for a drink or two, it seems the young people in New Zealand now talk about having a Jesse' or a 'half Jessie.'
Is that the Irish equivalent of getting 'full' or 'half full?'

mark

belfast

1st Mar 2008

Ivan if you read my email carefully you'll see you have agreed with what I said regarding Staffy! Strange that you are defending him after some things you wrote earlier. Don't rant at me because it wasn't my generation that scrapped the interpros. I'm not against other ideas but looking back at some previous postings you seem to have a problem with it. As for looking outside the box try climbing out of it with something practical yourself.
Smile Ivan as all the same old leagues and cups will be back on parade in 2008 as websites don't change anything.
PS
My name is not someone! Do I need to list a surname to have an opinion?

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

29th Feb 2008

When I looked at the first Ulster League proposals from the Development Committee I thought,'Here we go, another Cup competition just with more travelling.' However a real, proper Ulster League might just work.
Its 20 years since anyone outside the big 3 won the NW league and NCU have only 2 top teams. Sure that might change this year but only if they become weaker because their best players might be bought, not because others have improved. If you don't want an Ulster League then tell us how you are going to invigorate and improve cricket in the NCU and NW?

ivan mc combe

the future

29th Feb 2008

Mark someone.
"All this crap about bringing back the interpros and even ....an Ulster League ".Let's have your POSITIVE ideas on how we rejuvinate cricket and bridge the gap from Under 19 to Senior side.Any idiot can make comments like yours. At least Staffy and the like are asking people to think outside the box.We can't judge the future by what happened in the past but I think we can learn from the mistakes.And what's wrong with listening to other points of view and changing your mind.More power to Staffy for it.

mark

belfast

29th Feb 2008

OK Michael but it's a bit more 'visionary' than all the crap coming out about bringing back the interpros. Even Staffy has joined the ranks with his underage interpros suggestion and wait for it....an Ulster League! Give the guy some credit as he's changed his mind and that's not something many Ulstermen do!

michael patterson

Lisburn

29th Feb 2008

Big wind up Mark!
I can just see the 'new audience' arriving with their flags, flute band and marchers. It's taken us 40 years to get back to some form of normality so let's not start it all again. You can keep your wider audience.

clarence hiles

Barbados

29th Feb 2008

Tommy Allen
Like many others from the NCU I travelled to Eglinton on numerous occasions in the 1980s and 1990s and enjoyed some great cricket and even greater camaraderie in the clubhouse. One of the main reasons for that was the hospitality of the hosting club and its members, one of whom was the lovely Tommy Allen. He was a true gentleman of North-West cricket and a great ambassador for both his club and his union. He was also a fine player in his day but rarely would you have known such was his modesty. He served the Eglinton club with distinction as club secretary for many years and it was sad to learn of his passing earlier this week.
Sincere condolences to his family.

mark

belfast

29th Feb 2008

What about a representative competition using the electoral boundaries and each team sponsored by the sitting MP or a government body responsible for fostering a new era in community awareness? Great concept for grant aid from Uncle Sam, DUP, Sinn Fein, EEC, Irish and UK governments. Time to look to a wider audience.

Arthur Maxwell

Glengormley

29th Feb 2008

Have to agree with Michael on the interpros. They were past their sell-buy date when the ICU brought in the Development Squad and killed off the regional passion that had been there before. At the end too many players opted out and all the fizz had gone from the competition. Teams were picked by club delegates and the bias showed. Surely we don't want to go back to that nonsense?

Paul Hatton

Dublin

29th Feb 2008

The unwarranted criticism of Under 19 coach Brian O'Rourke is typical of the malaise in modern sport where if a team doesn't reach expectations the coach has to be the scapegoat. We see it in football and rugby all the time and it shows just how mercenary and selfish supposed 'supporters' can be when things don't go the way they want. Real supporters get behind the team and its management through thick and thin.