Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

clarence hiles

Barbados

23rd May 2008

Thanks Staffy. You are so right about Trevor and perhaps because he was so young at the time of his passing I've missed him. Quiet man but very professional and dignified in the way he performed his duties. If you got three LBWs I think you were the only one ever!
What about three more tomorrow in memory of a lovely umpire?

Paul Stafford

Home

23rd May 2008

Clarence

It's sad thinking of how many umpires are no longer with us and they were all great characters. Your article transported me back to a time not all that long ago when winning wasn't the be all and end all. Sometimes I feel everyone should just lighten up and try to enjoy it a little more.

One notable absence from your list, probably because he was taken from us so young, was Trevor Henry. Trevor was the finest umpire of his generation and was good enough to go all the way to the top. He had a reputation of being a 'not outer'and gained the sarcastic nickname 'Trigger' because of it. In the last year Instonians played at Shane Park Trevor gave three of their batsmen out lbw all off my bowling and said to me on the way off the field 'you can tell your grandchildren that Trevor Henry gave you 3 lbws in an innings once'! Don't worry Trevor, I will. Rest in peace.

clarence hiles

Barbados

23rd May 2008

Just like to thank everybody that has come onto the site over the past month. It takes guts at times and some of the stuff can be crusty but it all adds up to a healthy exchange of views in a user-friendly environment. That has to be good for cricket and that's what the Ulster Cricketer is all about. We also welcome your views on changes or improvements.
I'm even getting to understand Jeff's language and looking forward to seeing Dundrum at the Green in the semi-final. Live your dream and who knows?

Roger Bell

Home

22nd May 2008

Thanks Andy, I was delighted to read your last posting. The things you say there are very true and that's why I was so annoyed at the previous postings coming from you. No hard feelings now on my part and I regret that we had this public slanging match. Hope you are able to make it down to Carrick on Sunday for a jar, especially seeing as you are offering to buy the first round.

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

22nd May 2008

Andy and Roger. Sorry eposide from two great guys who just love cricket and have given (and are still giving ) a lot to the game. From a Muckamore stance I think we have a great relationship with Carrick going back to the East Antrim League in the 70's. We have had great matches at all levels but also great relationships. And remember we even took Paddy O'Hara off your hands about 50 years ago.

jeff maguire

it just not cricket.

22nd May 2008

danny,what was that film FIELD OF DREAMS! ciyms odds on favs we big under dogs but shocks do happen& was booking weekend away but think a day on beer at belmont will be ok win lose or draw.tell tony get bar well stocked!! when ci used too tour dundrum with HAWAII 50 SHIRTS they wheir mad, but just shows what hard work their club has put in & also gives all junior clubs hope.get you a winner sat so check out www.dundrumcc.com. need £for holiday fund for chester last sat hard 2 follow.we need win in section2 as the club is enjoying the season but cup can be problemn as hard too get best 11 out sundays ,but if they dont want it enough then they will regret it as they might never get another chance.

michael patterson

Lisburn

22nd May 2008

Jez Andy you have us all in tears.
Is this kiss and make up time?
Now let's get back to cricket...

andy kennedy

Muckamore

22nd May 2008

I joined the Divisional Committee in the mid-70s at the same time as Roger - I had enough sense to jump ship some years later but he has continued to plough on through the bad years as well as the good. This has also been mirrored by his service to his beloved Carrick through all the years on their travels round the Grammer School and Eden until their final destination at Middle Road. It was never my intention to cause any upset nor to cast any aspersions on the integrity of someone who I have known and respected for more years than some of you guys have been on this earth. The circumstamces that were given to me did cause some problems - purely as an observer of the cricket scene. I was particularly disappointed to learn that the Inter-Pro was not taking place at Muckamore having left Dundrum on Sunday under the impression that we were still hosting the event. I will put the matter no further other than to say that I unreservedly apologise for any offence that I have given. I trust that I will still be welcome at Middle Road for a jar or two with Tonto, Hendie, young Stewart and of course yourself Roger - I suppose this means that its my turn to buy!

Paul Stafford

Home

22nd May 2008

I've a lot of time for Roger Bell who is involved in the NCU for the right reasons ie to improve local cricket.

That said I don't think any slight was intended by Andy.

Roger Bell

Home

22nd May 2008

I agree its gone on too long, don't forget Andy you started it with the allegations that I forced Muckamore to play on a certain date which is untrue, with the clear inference that I did so to help Carrick 2nds which is also untrue, and frankly ridiculous. The clear purpose of your original posting was to discredit me, but in doing so I think in the eyes of most people you have discredited yourself. You could do yourself some credit and finish this with the requested apology.

There will be no more from me on the subject in this forum.

danny

Ladbrokes

22nd May 2008

Jeff

CIYMS v Dundrum for a place in the semi final of the senior cup - who would have thought it!!

Stevo

Down

22nd May 2008

Re Michael P

Regarding schools cricket the 20/20 route is the way forward (unless time is available on Wed afternoons etc). Regent House I remember played only 20 overs max on Saturday mornings either home or away when White,Shields and Haire were involved..didn't seem to affect these lads !

andy kennedy

Muckamore

22nd May 2008

This has really gone on too long - I would really appreciate if Roger Bell could point out where there was any alleagtion in my original posting. I simply asked a question - a simple answer "yes its coincidence" would have sufficed!!

Roger Bell

Home

22nd May 2008

Andy, that does not sound like an apology to me. In the absence of one our friendship will certainly be effected (ie:ended) as you have questioned my integrity and not been man enough to offer an apology when one was asked for. I have been a Section Secretary for 32 years now and this is the first time such accusations have been made against me (certainly in public), and by an active umpire in this case. I will now decide what action to take. I think NIACUS may be a good place to start.

PS: The Interpro was indeed being switched to Downpatrick with the agreement of both Muckamore and Downpatrick, and was subsequently moved to Lisburn to cut the NW travelling time.

andy kennedy

muckamore

22nd May 2008

re schools cricket/rugby. There is an age restriction for young men playing "adult" rugby whilst in cricket we can have 14 and 15 year olds playing with and against adults.

On Roger Bell - come on Roger - I think you "doth protest too much". I made no direct allegations but the vehemence of your protest makes me wonder. The scenario that was qouted to me from "a source close to Muckamore" is slightly different from the one that you describe so I'm happy enough to leave it there. Was there never any mention of the Inter-pro going to Downpatrick? By way of clarification - the views expressed are my own and in no way am I speaking for the club. I add "Muckamore" as my "location" because its a mandatory field. I don't really think that a frank exchange of views should affect a friendship.